Saturday, January 2, 2010

Happy 2010 from Sofie



Cuteness. I should always take the camera to the barn; I kept trying to take pictures of her crabby faces and as soon as I whipped out the camera she gave me cuteness instead.

In 2010 Sofie hopes to be able to eat more and work less. She can't wait for the snow to melt and the grass to start growing again, and for it to be warmer, which helps with her assorted "issues".

In 2010 I hope to be able to get to the bottom of the aforementioned "issues" and build Sofie's fitness. I have a rather lofty goal (for us) of hauling Sofie to a big arena with mirrors for a lesson with a really good dressage trainer. It's a short haul (under ten miles) but we need to have all our ducks in a row before we spend that kind of money (the lesson would cost $55, plus renting the arena for $10/hour, plus paying someone to haul Sofie in their trailer). I was just going to beg and plead said dressage trainer to come to Sofie's barn to teach us, but I kind of like the idea of being able to ride her in a huge arena while we're still stuck in our little indoor (because of snow, or mud). We'll see what happens. Like I said, we've gotta get our "stuff" together first.

Like, we need to find a saddle that fits this back:



Because while this back is exceptionally comfortable to sit on without a saddle (I could barely even feel her spine) if I ride faster than a walk bareback, I bounce all over Sofie's back, and she gets really annoyed. So even though she pulls a face whenever I walk a saddle out of the tack room, she is clearly a fan of technology when it comes time to actually mount up and go for a ride.

We did have one excellent ride in the arena last week (she never once got crabby, and we even did a trot serpentine) but as of yesterday she was a bit "off" tracking right (though she showed a distinct preference for tracking right). So we'll try to figure out what's going on with her and fix it. We've done it before.

No comments:

Post a Comment